Friday, November 23, 2012

#LivingTheDream


Do you have a dream? Well, everyone has a dream, I believe. :) My dream is to be an actor and filmmaker. You must be wondering since when did I have this dream? The answer is since I was 15. I'd found my inspiration in acting, making videos or short films when I joined Drama Club in my high school. I remember when I first acted on stage, I felt so nervous facing the super big crowd, but then after a while, I found myself totally in love with acting on stage. Stage fright was no longer a fear of mine anymore. Instead of acting on stage, I also started to produce videos in school too. I can still recall how good the feeling was when my first short film was being played in school during the Teachers' Day. 

Well, of course, "Rome was not built in one day". There were tough times being faced by me and my other group mates before we could have the chance to participate in some of the events in our school. I remember the first script that we had written for our school annual performance night was being rejected by the organiser. And yea, we missed the chance participating in it. But we never gave up, we were totally looking forward for the next event my school would be having at that time. Yes, it was the Teachers' Day. *Hurray* Our script was finally being accepted! After that, our chances of participating in school events had increased. AHHH, I miss those moments.




Those pictures shown above were me and my other actor at a stage-play, I acted as a very proud and annoying rich daughter. I remember at that time, I kinda had a hard time learning how to speak and act with appropriate Chinese since the setting of the drama was meant to be at ancient Chinese time. 

Screenshot of the my first production. (I'm the one wearing specs *laughs*)

I think that making videos is really a very fun and cool thing. Its not easy though, you have to consider everything such as, camera angles, background music and so on in order to make a worth-watching video. But I really find it enjoyable throughout the process of making films, non-stop learning. :)

As I grow older, I started to work hard to achieve my dream to be a filmmaker as well as an actor. Recently, I've just joined a video competition "the Vios Chosen One Video Star". At here, I really need to thank Tiffany, my coursemate, because she was the one who 'pulled' me to join this competition. In the preliminary round, I was asked to make a 15 seconds long on-ground shooting video. 

Now, I also need to say a BIG THANK YOU to social media especially Facebook. Because for the preliminary round, I would have to find as many votes as possible in order to move to the next round. At that time, I asked my Facebook friends to help me to share my video, and it did work

Among 800 plus contestants, I'd successfully became 1 of the top 18 contestants with the most votes. At this time, the judges/mentors would have to choose 9 out of the top 18 in order to proceed to the Finals. God only knows how surprised I was when I first being told that I was chosen to be 1 of the finalists. In the finals, I was required to make a video with the duration around 5 minutes.

Screenshot of my final video 'Crush'.

I made this video with a last-minute script because I actually had to shoot this thing with only using a couple of days when I went back to my hometown, Sabah. Honestly, I didn't really like it especially the last-minute storyline that I came up with, but I told myself "nevermind, there will always be a next time". The video was supposed to be about 8 minutes long but then I was forced to cut 3 minutes off since the limit of the video duration in the competition is only 5 minutes :( So, it turned out to be a little make no sense.



Screenshots of the feedbacks I'd received on YouTube.

What I'd expected really did happened, and it even turned out even worse than what I'd imagined. Some NEGATIVE FEEDBACKS. Sad? That's for sure. But I believe that before you success, you will have to face the failure first. I won't give up, I have to say thanks to those who commented on it instead, letting me know how to improve. As I said, "there will be a NEXT TIME".


Before I end, I would like to share a video with you all. Its the "iPhone FAI" produced by Joseph Germani (Germani Productions). Guess what? I took part in it! To be honest, throughout the process, I'd learnt a lot of stuffs from Joseph.

No comments:

Post a Comment