Friday, November 2, 2012

Books but not Textbooks


To be honest, I seldom read books unless it is based on true story. I didn't really find interest on reading book with made-up story. Its because I find that true story books are really meaningful. Everytime when I read them, I will really pay full attention on it. Have no idea why. Maybe its because true story can make me feel more touched. The book that I usually read mostly contains sorrow

Just like the book 'Hachiko' (picture shown above), its a book based on true story happening in Japan long time ago, written by LeslĂ©a Newman. Before I read this book, I had actually watched it's movie, 'Hachiko'. Make sure you prepare tissue before you watch. It was really a very touching story, about a loyal dog adopted by a kind man. The dog followed his owner to the train station everyday and waited there every whole day long until the owner return from his work place by train. One day, the owner had faced heart attack when he was working, he passed away. Hachiko, the dog was still not willing to return home although his owner died because he would never ever go home without his owner. Eversince, the dog had treated the train station as his home, every single day, belonging for the return of  his owner. The people in train station had treated Hachiko as a friend of theirs, fed him everyday until the day he died. I'm a person who really love dogs very much. Whether you believe or not, I actually teared while writing about Hachiko's story in this blogpost.

About a year after I watched the movie, 'Hachiko', I finally bought it's book 'Hachiko Waits'. Please prepare more tissue before you start reading it! It was even more touching when you read it's story book compare to it's movie. Everytime when I'm reading a book based on true story, I could portray myself as the writer of the book, I could feel how he or she felt when writing that book.


When it comes to choosing books, I would "judge the book by its cover". I really enjoy keeping books with nice cover. Cover would give me first impression of a book, deciding whether to buy it or not. Second impression would be the back cover (showing short synopsis) of the book.

Paperback VS Hardcover.

I will choose paperback. The reason is because it is much more lighter and portable compare to the hardcover, which makes the book heavier, harder to carry it along. I usually bring a book to travel so that I could read it during the flight in order to avoid boredom. So I would probably buy a book with paperback as cover, much more easier to put it into my bag. And obviously the book with hardcover usually comes in bigger size and costs more expensive compare to book with paperback cover. It really would be inconvenient if you carry the big yet heavy hardcover book along. Moreover, I don't like hardcover book because of its hard edges. Especially the Kamus Dewan (dictionary), I remember it used to hurt my hand a few times when I was using it during primary 6!

Dust jacket

Dust jacket? What? Was it created to prevent dust on the book? To be honest, I really dislike this thing. Its looseness could really distract me. I remember I actually threw it away when I was using my dictionary last time. Dust jacket really can annoy me a lot especially when it is made with thin paper only (can be easily teared off). People said that dust jacket was invented in order to protect the cover of the book. But I rather wrap the book with a tight layer of plastic, yes, I usually did that to protect the surface of my books' covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment